Priligy is a drug used to treat premature ejaculation in males. It is also called Dapoxetine. This medication is classified as a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). It was created with a sole purpose of treating premature ejaculation in males. This medication is renowned for its potency and quickness.
Dapoxetine was devised by Eli Lilly and Company. This medication was originally intended as an antidepressant. Luckily for many people all around the globe, it was yet another accidental breakthrough in the world of PE/ED treatment. As a failed antidepressant, Dapoxenite’s real purpose was found – treating premature ejaculation. In the year of 2005, this drug was finally approved by the FDA.
Right now, it is sold/approved in over 50 countries, including Spain, Russia, Argentina, Sweden, Italy, Mexico and New Zealand.
Curiously enough, how exactly Priligy is able to treat premature ejaculation remains unclear. The most likely theory is that this drug works by inhibiting sodium-dependent serotonin transporter and strengthening serotonin’s impact as a result.
This medication is not appropriate for patients with certain alignments. Always make sure you consult with a health specialist before you begin any kind of treatment. There are several things to take into consideration if you decide to take this drug, so ensure that your MD is notified:
- If you have fainted previously/have syncope predisposition.
- If you have cardiovascular disorders.
- If you have thrombophilia, have ever experienced bleeding problems or clotting issues.
- If you suffer from epileptic seizures.
- If you have ever had mental illnesses that cause mood swings, including bipolar disorder/manic depression, or any other depressive/manic disorders.
- If you suffer from ocular hypertension.
- If you have issues with your liver and/or kidneys.
- If you have ever had any kind of allergic reaction to a drug.
- If you are using any other medications, including OTC, prescription, and herbals.
This list of precautions is not 100% complete, you should do your research and always consult with your health specialist before you start a treatment.
Your dosage will heavily depend on your age, overall health, weight and several other criteria. On average, the recommended starting dose is thirty milligrams. You must take it one to three hours before engaging in sexual activity. Depending on your experiences with the thirty-milligram dose, your MD may alter it. It can possibly be upped to sixty milligrams if the thirty-milligram dose is not enough. Granted, this heavily depends on whether or not you have encountered any major adverse effects while undergoing this treatment.
How to Take?
Before you begin your treatment, you must refer to the info provided by the manufacturer. It will give you the exhaustive list of adverse effects and precautions. You should also have all of your MD’s suggestions written down/printed out.
Drink a tall glass of water while you swallow this medication. Never take this medication more often than one in the span of twenty-four hours. This drug was never intended for everyday use, you must only take it if you expect to have sex. This pill has a bitter taste, it was not intended for crushing and/or chewing.
How Long Does It Last?
Priligy is rapidly absorbed into the body, it only takes up two hours. There are no food interactions, even fatty foods don’t affect this drug’s absorption. This medication also gets quickly distributed through the body, the initial half-life is 1,3 hours for the thirty-milligram dosage and 1,4 hours for the sixty-milligram dosage. The biological half-life is approximately 18,6 hours for the thirty-milligram dosage and 22 hours for the sixty-milligram dosage.
Overall, the duration of the effects and general effectiveness depend heavily on several factors, including:
- Age. The elderly people may experience prolonged effects due to slower metabolism rate.
- Eating habits and alcohol intake. These two factor in ever so slightly, but it is still there. It may not cause significant differences at all, but you have to still be mindful of what you eat and how much you drink.
- Dosage. Your health specialist needs to figure out which dose suits you best/works the longest.
- Overall health and level of physical activity. Obviously, people who lead a healthier lifestyle are more likely to enjoy longer beneficial effects.
- Drug interactions. You will find further information in regards to that down below.
There are some unwanted effects to take into consideration while undergoing this specific type of PE treatment. Let’s split them into different categories based on their probability:
Common (1 in 10 patients):
Uncommon (1 in 20 patients):
- Feeling irritated, nervous, restless and anxious;
- Feeling numb/tingling sensations;
- Trouble maintaining/getting an erection;
- Uncleared bowels and gas;
- Bloating and stomachache;
- Sleep deficit/nightmares;
- Constant tiredness and sleepiness, constant yawning;
- Stuffy nose;
- Increased ABP;
- Difficulties with staying focused;
- Ringing in the ears;
- Blurred vision;
- Gastric indigestion;
Rare (1 in 100 patients):
- Fainting and/or feeling lightheaded while doing something;
- Mood swings, feeling either euphoric or paranoid;
- Feeling confused, disoriented and dazed;
- Slow/irregular heartbeat or increased heartbeat;
- Loss of libido, trouble achieving an orgasm;
- Feeling tired, weak and lethargic;
- Depression, nervousness or complete apathy;
- Feeling similar to intoxication;
- Eye issues, including ophthalmalgia and dilated pupils;
- High or low BP;
- Cold sweat or itching;
- Bitter taste in mouth.
Rarest (1 in 1000 patients):
- Sudden vertigo that leads to fainting;
- Sudden and severe feeling of exhaustion;
- Intense diarrhea.
The above list is not 100% exhaustive. Make sure you have a conversation with your medical specialist in case you encounter any of the aforementioned symptoms.
You should immediately stop taking this medication and contact your nearest health care center if you:
- Experience convulsions;
- Experience vertigo and syncopal state;
- Noticed any sudden mood swings;
- Experience hyperhidrosis;
- Have fever;
- Experience a severe version of any symptoms mentioned in the side-effects list.
There’s a small risk of encountering an overdose while taking this medication, but it’s still there. No case of overdose has been reported during the research, making the risks not just small, but almost non-existent. Nevertheless, you should always tread carefully.
If you accidentally took an erroneous dosage/took more than you should, you will require instant medical attention. Make sure you stay safe and never take more of this drug than your MD prescribed.
Some other medications might interact with Priligy and lead to the unwanted adverse effects. This is an incomplete list of all the drugs you should mention to your MD before starting your PE treatment:
- Alpha-blockers, including doxazosin, terazosin, prazosin.
- Medications for hypertension.
- Nitrates, including isosorbide, nitroglycerin.
- Antifungal agents, including itraconazole, ketoconazole, erythromycin, and telithromycin.
- H2RA medications, including cimetidine and ranitidine.
- AIDS treatments, including amprenavir, atazanavir, indinavir, lopinavir, nelfinavir, ritonavir and saquinavir.
- Macrolide antibiotics, including erythromycin, clarithromycin, and azithromycin.
- Opioid analgesics, including codeine, dihydrocodeine, and tramadol.
- Bosentan and/or rifampin because they may severely hinder the effectiveness of this medication.
As mentioned before, this is an incomplete list. You must ask your MD whether Priligy can interact with other pills that you are taking. You should provide them with a detailed list specifying all the products you are currently taking, including OTC meds, prescription tablets, and herbals.
It is strongly advised to avoid liquor while you are undergoing this treatment. If you ever decide to drink, make sure you’re drinking in moderation. If you take Priligy with alcohol you may experience lightheadedness, dizziness, sleeping and slow reaction time. More importantly, this drug’s impact may be hindered because of the ethanol. In the end, it might be a disappointing outcome, so make sure you avoid drinking altogether.
How to Achieve the Best Results?
Always schedule follow-up appointments with your MD to closely monitor your condition. There are also several lifestyle adjustments that could be made in order to increase this drug’s effectiveness and possibly cure premature ejaculation altogether.
These include: quitting smoking, having a healthy diet, improving your eating habits, finding a good exercise routine, curbing your alcohol intake, living a less sedentary lifestyle, spending more time outdoors, living a fulfilling life in general, reducing your stress levels, never overworking. Even if you will manage to make only one adjustment, it can still possibly yield amazing results.
Taking Priligy may boost your confidence and eradicate premature ejaculation altogether. You should definitely look into natural techniques of improving your sexual stamina in combination with this treatment. Many people note that this drug was the little “push” they needed to finally cure their PE for good.
- This drug’s active component is Dapoxetine hydrochloride.
- Its chemical formula: C21H23NO.
- This drug doesn’t require any specific storage conditions, but you do need to keep it away from children and pets.
- This medication can be taken together with anti-ED treatments, i.e. PDE-5 inhibitors. There was a study showing that this drug does not change/decrease the effects of Tadalafil.
- Patients taking this medication are advised against driving. You may experience sleepiness, vertigo, loss of focus, blurry vision and overall sluggishness. You shouldn’t operate heavy machinery while on this medication, as well.
- According to the research, this drug’s most common side effect is nausea. It was observed in approximately 8% of men taking this drug.
- You must never alter this drug’s dosage on your own. You must start/stop the treatment on your own.
- This drug was not intended for use in women.
- This medication retains its potency for three years.
There’s always this embarrassing problem, I have always been “overeager” in bed. I was always very self-conscious about my “stamina”. My doctor suggested Priligy and the results were amazing. Yeah, I got a slight headache once in a while, but it is completely worth it. You wouldn’t believe what a drug like that can do for a man’s self-confidence. It may sound silly, but I do feel more “accomplished”, more like a “real” man now. Long story short: this drug works, the side-effects are minor.
My doctor suggested I took Priligy just to see if it will work for me. You see, I’ve been struggling with PE for two and half years now. Various methods, different drugs and no results to speak of. I was a bit skeptical at first, because nothing seemed to work for me. I was losing hope, to tell you the truth. However, I’m now happy to say that Priligy WORKS. The 30mg dosage made me last up to 15 minutes and that’s the best result I have had in years! I’ve tried 60mg, but there were no noticeable differences.
Priligy is one of those drugs that has its upsides and downsides. To tell you the truth, pros outweigh cons for me. When my doctor first suggested this particular drug, I was incredibly skeptical because I did some digging and found out it was originally an antidepressant. How’s THAT gonna treat my PE? Surprisingly enough, Priligy was working wonders for me. I have encountered some minor side-effects, including vertigo, but I did not care. Why would I? I can last up to twenty minutes in bed. That’s perfect.
The best damn premature ejaculation medication in the world. There, I said it. Basically, I never knew what a normal/long-lasting erection was until I was able to get my hands on Priligy. I was a virgin, I had issues with self-confidence, crippling depression, fear of intimacy, you name it. I can’t wait until it becomes available here. Ordering this drug via a web-based pharmacy was a fun adventure in an of itself. However, it was completely worth it because this drug was literally life-changing for me!